Quinoa is a nutritional powerhouse. You can make these broccoli and quinoa patties as large or as little as you like. Try them as bite-size snacks to dip in hummus or your favorite vegan dip.
You could also pop them between a bun for an awesome, protein-filled burger —it’s entirely up to you!
Recipe — Broccoli and Quinoa Bites
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for frying
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Coarsely chop the broccoli including some of the stalk, add to the pan, and gently simmer until very soft. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Cover the quinoa with 1 cup of water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, cover, then
reduce to a simmer until all the water has been fully absorbed.
3. Finely chop the cooked broccoli until there are no large pieces left. Combine the broccoli with the cooked quinoa, garlic, lemon juice, oil, and some seasoning. Once fully combined, sprinkle over the nutritional yeast, if using, and flour, and mix until the mixture begins to come together and can be easily formed into small patties.
4. Heat a tablespoon or so of oil in a heavy-bottomed nonstick frying pan. Ensure the oil is not too hot or your patties may disintegrate; a medium heat is best. Take a heaping tablespoon of the mixture, roll into a rough ball, then shape into a patty, flattening slightly between your palms. Gently cook each patty for 5 to 7 minutes on each side until golden on both sides. Keep warm in a low oven until all the mixture is used.
5. Serve with a side of spicy mayo and a dressed baby leaf salad.
Recipe viaThe New Vegan by Ainé Carlin, Published by Kyle Books, Photography by Nassima Rothacker
Sounds delicious! Now, check out this other recipe — Crispy Buffalo Tofu Bowl
2 thoughts on “Easy Vegan Recipe – Broccoli and Quinoa Bites From The New Vegan Cookbook”
Great recipe ! These green patties look so pleasing !!